What are dental implants?
Dental implants have been placed by dental professionals for over 40 years and are now regarded as the most successful and trusted tooth replacement procedure available.
Rather than resting on the gum line like removable dentures, or using adjacent teeth as anchors like fixed bridges, dental implants are long-term permanent replacements that we surgically place into the jawbone.
Implants are titanium screws that fuse to the jawbone, onto which specially sculpted crowns and dentures can be attached that look, feel and function like real teeth.
Top benefits of dental implants
Single dental implants offer advantages over fixed bridges because:
• They look, feel and function like a natural tooth
• They are less invasive than dental bridges as neighboring teeth are not affected
• Cement used with fixed bridges can dissolve, giving way to bacteria causing further decay and loss of more teeth
• The jawbone bone and gum are kept healthy and intact
Dental implant bridge
If several neighboring teeth are missing implant-supported bridges may be a better solution than fixed bridges or partial dentures for the same reasons as above.
(Image shows temporary abutment fitted to implant prior to the crown being attached)
All-on-4 dental implants
The All-on-4 procedure has revolutionised the lives of people with dentures because the replacement teeth are permanently fixed, look natural, feel natural and perform much like their original teeth.
The procedure, developed by Dr Paulo Malo at the Malo Clinic in Lisbon in the 1990s, works by placing two anterior implants vertically and two posterior implants at an angle of up to 45-degrees to support a full-arch bridge.
Benefits of All-on-4 dental implants include:
- Oral functionality fully restored
- Much faster than multiple implants
- Avoids bone grafting therefore has a higher success rate
- Avoids nerve damage
- Low cost compared with conventional methods
Zygomatic dental implants
Zygomatic implants are used with All-on-4 and involve anchoring longer than normal dental implants in the cheek bone when there is insufficient bone to use normal implants.
Benefits of Zygomatic implants:
- All-on-4 procedure is now available to patients with severe bone loss
- The procedure is considerably less invasive than using normal dental implants as they do not require a traditional sinus lift or bone graft
- Faster to complete all-on-4 than using normal dental implants so the patient experiences less time in the chair and less discomfort and stress
- The whole procedure can be completed in one day and so far it has an almost 100% success rate
Teeth in a day
Dental implants are made of titanium to which bone tissue fuses to form a very strong bond.
Although traditionally this can take up to six months, due to recent advances in technology and protocols, Arnica can place dental implants capable of immediate function (use) in one day.
The benefits of teeth in a day are:
- Less discomfort
- Less stress
- Minimal inconvenience