Welcome to our patient referral service
We are Cheltenham’s Dental Sedation Centre and Centre of Excellence for treating nervous, anxious and dental phobic patients who might otherwise not receive treatment essential for healthy teeth and gums.
We are at the forefront of Gentle Dentistry – minimising discomfort and anxiety with sedation and a gentle approach that we adapt to suit individual patient’s specific circumstances and needs.
Why you’ve been referred to us
Your dentist referred you to us for treatment requiring sedation and/or more complex surgical procedures not currently available at your practice.
Your dentist has trusted us to provide you with the highest standard of clinical care, minimum discomfort and anxiety.
Referrals for dental sedation
As Cheltenham’s Dental Sedation Centre, we are the region’s leading dental sedation practice that is qualified, experienced and equipped to administer intravenous and inhalation sedation. These are essential to treating nervous, anxious and dental-phobic patients who would otherwise not receive the treatment they need.
Since 2001 we have been offering a comprehensive range of dental treatments under sedation, from routine restorative treatment to more complex treatments such as extractions, root canal therapy, crowns, veneers and dental implants.
Intravenous sedation is where sedatives are administered through a cannula into a vein in the arm or the back of the hand. This technique changes the patient’s level of consciousness so that even the most anxious can undergo dental treatment, and although they remain conscious, they often remember little about the procedure.
Intravenous sedation is also suitable for those with a hypersensitive gag reflex or resistance to local anaesthesia.
Sedation (IV) is primarily for adults or children over 16. However, following a comprehensive assessment, strict IV guidelines and best practices, we may recommend IV sedation for some children over 12.
Inhalation sedation (also known as relative analgesia) involves breathing a mixture of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and oxygen through a comfortably-fitting nose piece that allows dental treatment to be carried out simultaneously.
Inhalation sedation is one of the simplest ways to ensure dental treatment is as comfortable and stress-free as possible and is ideal for anxious children and adults with hypersensitive gag reflexes.
We have extensive experience in performing orthodontic extractions under relative analgesia.
Inhalation sedation will not cause drowsiness. However, patients will feel much more relaxed and able to talk and therefore tell the dentist how they are handling during the treatment.
Most patients have a nice warm feeling with inhalation sedation and may feel mild tingling in their hands and feet.
Once sedation is stopped, patients will feel normal again in 5-10 minutes.
Referrals for dental implants
Principal dentist and practice owner Dr Ellie Ledger is one of the region’s most experienced implantologists heading up a team that provides the following dental implant procedures:
- single and multiple dental implants
- implant-supported bridges
- implant retained dentures
- the revolutionary all-on-4 procedure
- All-on-4 procedure with zygomatic dental implants in cases of low bone density
- Arnica has recently invested in a CBCT 3d low-dose digital scanner for faster, more accurate diagnosis and treatment planning.
Referrals for complex surgical procedures
Referrals for Orthodontics
Orthodontic Consultant Goldie Songra has joined the team to offer referral patients the full range of ortho procedures, including:
- Ceramic braces
- Invisible braces
- Lingual braces
- Traditional braces
Goldie is currently a Fellow of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics at the prestigious Royal College of Surgeons of England and a full-time Orthodontic Consultant at the Royal Worcestershire Hospital, where he takes an active role in postgraduate training of specialist registrars and senior trainees to Consultant level.
He is also an examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Chair of the Orthodontic Managed Clinical Network for Herefordshire & Worcestershire. He leads collaborative working between clinicians and commissioners to improve and advance Orthodontics in the region.
Why choose our referral service
- Trusted by over 100 regional referral dentists
- Centre of Excellence for treating nervous, anxious and dental-phobic patients
- One of the region’s leading implant centres
- Extensive experience in complex surgical procedures
Our referral service guarantee acknowledges the trust you place in us and fully protects your interests and those of your patients.
Our referral process
The steps of a routine dental implant can be summarised as follows:
Although we adapt the treatment and care we offer to suit the individual circumstances and needs of our patients, you can expect something similar to the following:
1. Your dentist will discuss your referral treatment first.
2. Your dentist will refer you to us using our online or printed referral forms, including any additional information, such as X-rays.
3. If necessary, we’ll contact your dentist to confirm receipt of your referral form and discuss your treatment with them.
4. We’ll then contact you to chat through the referral process, enter your details into our system and arrange your referral consultation with either Dr Ledger, Dr Gill Kemp, Dr Toby Mitchell-Innes, Dr Sarisa Martin, or Dr Nicola Robinson
5. You’ll then be sent our referral pack comprising a confirmation letter, referral guide, sedation guide/s and a medical history form to complete before your appointment.
6. You’ll then attend a referral consultation which will include a patient examination and, if required, an X-ray or CBCT low-dose, three-dimensional digital scan. Your Arnica dentist will discuss your treatment with you and give you a treatment plan and cost estimate.
If you prefer, you can discuss your treatment with your dentist before starting your course of treatment at Arnica.
If required, a team member can discuss affordable finance options with you to spread the cost of your treatment. (see below)
Contact reception to book your first treatment appointment. The reception might suggest that you book several meetings in advance to suit your course of treatment.
What our referral patients say
Key information for referral patients
When we book you in for your referral appointment, we will send you our referral information pack comprising essential information about your referral to Arnica Dental Care. You can also download this information below.
Patient referral guide
Patient guide to intravenous sedation (IV)
Patient guide to inhalation sedation (AI) – adults
Patient guide to inhalation sedation (AI) – children
Key information on Inhalation Sedation for parents of child patients, including what to expect, how to prepare, and what to do afterwards:
- What is Inhalation Sedation (IS)?
- What are the benefits?
- What are the risks?
- On the day of the Inhalation Sedation visit
- Important considerations
Need further information? Call us to chat through your referral with a member of the team
Call 01242 655554 and speak to one of our patient coordinators for more information about our referral service.
Jennie – Patient Coordinator
Rachel – Patient Coordinator